Yield ~ 16 brownies
- Cooking spray and ~ 2 tbsp flour for tin
- Brownie mix
- 1-2 tsp baking powder (~3/4 tsp for each egg you will replace with pulp)
- 1-2 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)
- Juice pulp (preferrably something fruity) to replace oil and egg called for in the mix recipe. You will replace the oil at a 1:1 ratio with pulp and each egg with 1/3 cup pulp
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven according to box directions
- Grease an 8×8 tin, dust lightly with flour
- Empty contents of brownie mix into a medium bowl. Stir in baking powder and ground flaxseed. Mix in pulp until combined.
- Add walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Bake according to box directions.
I’m really excited about this recipe because I see a lot of potential for using pulp with other mixes. And honestly, these are delicious! My coworker was shocked when I told her there wasn’t any egg or oil in them. She said, “they don’t taste vegan!” It’s strange to me that people associate vegan food with cardboard, but I guess I was the same way before I started finding good recipes! Oh, and where there’s a brownie in my house, there’s a brownie sundae. I’m thinking pulp ice cream needs to happen this summer. 🙂