Yield: 9 bars
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup jam of choice
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup juice pulp (preferrably fruit)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 cup almond milk or substitute
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Bring jam, zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract to a boil over medium heat in a small sauce pan. Stir. Set aside.
- In a food processor, blend half of the oatmeal into a powder.
- Combine oatmeal powder, remaining oats, spices and baking powder in a medium bowl. Mix well. Add the pulp, sugar (optional), and almond milk until well-combined.
- Smooth half of the batter into the baking dish, followed by the jam mixture. Add the remaing batter in a layer at the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
You will notice that Poppy’s version calls for fresh berries. I know this would taste better, but I’m tight on cash and berries are quite a luxury, so jam it was! If you have the means, definitely check out her recipe for using fresh berries. Thanks again, Poppy, for another fantastic vegan recipe!